Luis Alonso is a PhD in Architecture, researcher and the Andorra Living Lab project leader at the MIT Media Lab's Changing Places group. He oversees the integration of the group's diverse research topics (Energy consumption, city simulation, urban mobility, innovation district and smart housing), in Andorra's Living Lab project, to provide comprehensive solutions for urban and country challenges, in order to transform Andorra into an "international recognized intelligent country"
Since he is focused on very different lines of research and work; his antidisciplinary approach fits on the Media Lab philosophy: City Science, big data analysis, urban planning, architectural robotics, building design & construction, new & smart materials (Free form transparent energy efficient envelopes & biomedical uses), Energy simulation and building efficiency & sustainability, Eco-innovation, E-learning & its impact on social networks, New technologies (ICT), etc.
EDUCATION, TEACHING, PROFESSIONAL AND RESEARCH EXPERIENCE
2015 MIT Media Lab.
2014-15 Visiting Scholar at the MIT Changing Places Group (MIT Media Lab)
Honorary mention, as a finalist, to the entire research career, at the Engineering Category, at the Born to be Discovery Awards2014
Coordinator of the project: "Development of certification and energy sustainability tool for Inter IKEA buildings" (UPM)
Coordinator of the project: "Development of a sustainability guide for the Inter IKEA Company" (DinMas)
PhD Extraordinary Award of the Polytechnic University of Madrid (UPM)
2013-15 Member of the UPM’s CETTICO research group, researching in the field of Simulation of Sustainable Environments.
Subject coordinator, Energy: demand and consumption and Natural resources, Specialization Course in Sustainability and Architecture, Universidad de Oviedo (UNIOVI).
Subject coordinator, Bioclimatic architecture and Building energy rating, Master of Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency, Universidad a Distancia de Madrid (UDIMA).
Subject coordinator, Design of publications and new technologies, Master of Digital Communication, Universidad a Distancia de Madrid (UDIMA).
2012-13 PhD thesis titled Sistema de cerramiento transparente de alta eficiencia energética y forma libre (F²TE³) (Free form transparent energy efficient envelope system (F²TE³)), defended on 18 February 2013 and graded excellent cum laude. This research was awarded first prize at MIT Technology Review 2013 (TR35), PhD Extraordinary Award 2014, first prize at the X ActuaUPM Awards 2013 and received an honorary mention at the 2012 Cortes de Cadiz International Research Awards.
2011-15 Associate professor, Bachelor of Industrial Organization and Bachelor of Journalism, Universidad a Distancia de Madrid (UDIMA)
2011-13 Associate professor and coordinator, Outfitting and Sustainability Module, Master of Interior Design and Architecture, UPM-School of Architecture.
Assistant professor, Master of Architectural Heritage Conservation and Restoration, UPM-School of Architecture.
Member of the ABIO group based at the UPM-School of Architecture’s Department of Building Construction and Technology from February 2011, as coordinator of computer-based energy simulation for the SOS Natura project, part of the Innpacto subprogramme funded by the National Public-Private Cooperation Programme.
2010 DEA (Diploma of Advanced Studies/Researcher Proficiency) with research on Nuevo cerramiento transparente de alto rendimiento energético y formas libres (New free form transparent high energy performance envelope). Department of Building Construction and Technology. ETSAM. UPM
2005 Architect. Madrid School of Architecture. Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (UPM). Member of the Madrid Institute of Architects No. 16454, with 14 years of professional experience.
Honorary Mention for final-year project at Pasajes/iGuzzini Architecture Awards.
2011-2015 Founder of Luis Alonso architecture studio (now operating).
2005-2011 Founding member of PYFARQUITECTURA (co-founder Álvaro Gutiérrez)
In-house projects: detached and other housing, offices, engineering and industry, town planning, museography, hospital architecture.
Partnership with studios and architects (José María Ezquiaga, Ecosistema Urbano, Miguel Barahona, Perello De Paz, etc.) and other enterprises and engineering companies (Larcovi, Volconsa, L.V. Salamanca, Grudem, Areté, etc.).
1999-2005 Partnership with studios and architects: Andrés Perea Ignacio Alcalde (Taller De Ideas), José Ballesteros, Rafael Torrelo, Darío Gazapo, etc.
HONOURS AND AWARDS:
FIRST PRIZES: 6 in international competitions and 2 in national competitions.
SECOND PRIZES: 1 in international competitions
THIRD PRIZES: 1 in international competitions
HONORARY MENTIONS: 5 in international competitions and 2 in national competitions
RESEARCH LINES & EXPERIENCE
-City Science: Innovation Districts, Robotic Architecture and Autonomous Mobility Under Demand and project management and coordination experience
Honorary mention, as a finalist, to the entire research career, at the Engineering Category, at the Born to be Discovery Awards 2014-15
Postdoctoral stay as a Visiting Scholar at the MIT Changing Places Group (MIT Media Lab) 2014-15
-Free form transparent energy efficient envelopes (F2TE3 system)
PhD Extraordinary Award 2014 of the Polytechnic University of Madrid (UPM)
First prize at the MIT Technology Review 2013 (TR35) Awards
First prize at the X ActuaUPM Enterprise Awards 2013 with the eco-innovated F²TE³ system (2013).
Honorary mention at the 2012 Cortes de Cadiz International Research Awards
2010 Best Presentation Award at the 5th Global Insulation Conference
-Energy simulation and building efficiency and sustainability
Higher education faculty training scholarship. UPM School of Architecture (2011)
Technology Transfer Office research grant. UPM School of Architecture (2011)
-Eco-innovation: Sustainable and bioclimatic architecture, town planning and new materials and industrial elements
Honorary mention at the 2012 ActuaUPM Enterprise Awards
Honorary mention at the 2012 UAM CIADE Enterprise Awards
- Other research lines:
E-learning and its impact on social networks
New technologies (ICT) for teaching
2014-15 Application No. 62096051. “Universal linear actuator” Attorney Docket Number: MIT_17608T. Receipt Date: 2014-12-23. Provisional
2012-14 Application No. P 201201272. “Aerogenerador con carena de dirección” (Aerogenerator with moveable hull) (24/12/2012). Granted ES 2 471 718 A1 (26.06.2014)
2012-13 Application No. P 201232048. Sistema de panelización de alta eficiencia energética y de formas libres (Free form, energy efficient panelling system) (27/12/2012). Granted ES 2398119 B2 (16.09.2013)
- Sixteen publications in eight international and eight national SJR- and JCR-indexed journals, specializing in the field of energy efficiency and sustainability. These articles have resulted in another six publications (two international publications in The Smithsonian/NASA Astrophysics Data System and the Réseau des Bibliothèques. Université de Toulouse and four national publications).
- Postdoctoral stay as a Visiting Scholar at the MIT Changing Places Group (MIT Media Lab)
- Participation as coordinator of computer-based energy simulation in the SOS Natura project, part of the Innpacto subprogramme funded by the National Public-Private Cooperation Programme.
- Co-director of the UDIMA Department of Journalism, History and Humanities Communication and E-Learning in Emerging Media Research Group during the 2011-12 academic year.
- Member of the editorial boards of the Journal of Computer Assisted Learning (Q1) and Interactive Learning Environments (Q1) in the capacity of peer reviewer in the Education & educational research category (JCR Social Science Edition).
- Coordinator of the Working Group GT3 "Active Energy Efficiency in Buildings" of the "e-comités AENOR/AENOR - Comités Técnicos de Normalización/AEN/CTN 178 "CIUDADES INTELIGENTES"/AEN/CTN 178/08” (Spanish standardization organization e-committees – standardization technical committees/AEN/CTN 178 “INTELLIGENT CITIES/AEN/CTN 178/08. (2014-2015)
- Peer reviewer of AIDIT (Spanish Research, Development and Technological Innovation Accreditation Agency) (2013-2014).
- Technical Committee Member of the International Conference on Sustainable Design and Manufacturing to be held on 28, 29 & 30 April 2014 in Cardiff, Wales, UK.
- Publications and papers presented at over 14 (11 international and 3 national) congresses. Publication of four posters at two national and two international congresses.
- Best Presentation Award at the 5th Global Insulation Conference in 2010.
- Guest expert at the 1st AEROCOINS Workshop organized by MINES ParisTech (Paris Institute of Technology), S5E. Sostenibilidad: eficiencia energética, evaluación de edificios y estructuras (S5E. Sustainability: energy efficiency, building and structures assessment), organized by the Eduardo Torroja Building Sciences Institute (IETcc), Centre of Structural and Materials Safety and Durability (CISDEM), and the 7th Global Insulation Conference and Exhibition 2 (GIC), Latvia, September 2012.
- Author of the book “Cerramiento Transparente de Alto Rendimiento Energético y Formas Libres” (Free Form Energy Efficient Transparent Envelope). ISBN 978-84-7991-303-8. Universitas, S.A. November 2010, Madrid.
- Co-author of the book “Técnicas Arquitectónicas y Constructivas de Acondicionamiento Ambiental” (Architectural and Building Techniques for Environmental Outfitting). ISBN 978-848-915-020-1. MUNILLALERIA [2013 edition]. Madrid.
- Author of fifteen book chapters in six national and nine international books, highlighting; titled Modeling, From the Energy Viewpoint, a Free-Form, High Energy Performance, Transparent Envelope, Sustainability in Energy and Buildings, Smart Innovation, Systems and Technologies (2013) and Effective Thermal Insulation - The Operative Factor of a Passive Building Model InTech d.o. (2012).
- Member of the "e-comités AENOR/AENOR - Comités Técnicos de Normalización/AEN/CTN 178 "CIUDADES INTELIGENTES"/AEN/CTN 178/08” (Spanish standardization organization e-committees – standardization technical committees/AEN/CTN 178 “INTELLIGENT CITIES/AEN/CTN 178/08. (2013-2015)
PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE AS AN ARCHITECT
EXPERIENCE AS AN INDEPENDENT PRACTISING ARCHITECT
- 2011- Founder of the Luis Alonso (Estudio LAAP) architecture studio in 2011.
- 2005-2011 Founding member of PYFARQUITECTURA (co-founder Álvaro Gutiérrez)
In-house projects: detached and other housing, offices, engineering and industry, town planning, museography, hospital architecture
eXPERIENCE IN PARTNERSHIP WITH OTHER AGENCIES
- Partnership with studios and architects: ANDRES PEREA ORTEGA, MIGUEL BARAHONA, PERELLO DE PAZ, NEXO, etc.
- Partnership with town planners: JOSÉ MARÍA EZQUIAGA, ECOSISTEMA URBANO, etc.
- Partnerships with enterprises and engineering companies: LARCOVI, VOLCONSA, L.V. SALAMANCA, GRUDEM, ARETÉ, etc.
- Team member. Estudio arquitectónico Andrés Perea. CAPITAL PLAZA BUILDING, TAIPEI (Taiwan) competition and LA PALMA DE GRAN CANARIA AIRPORT (Executed)
- Studios and architects: TALLER DE IDEAS (Ignacio Alcalde), JOSÉ BALLESTEROS, RAFAEL TORRELO, DARÍO GAZAPO, etc.
- Over 15 designed works built.
- Participation as an external partner in over 20 executed projects.
- Participation in over 60 architectural competitions winning 17 awards:
· FIRST PRIZES: 6 in international competitions and 2 in national competitions.
· SECOND PRIZES: 1 in international competitions
· THIRD PRIZES: 1 in international competitions
· HONORARY MENTIONS: 5 in international competitions and 2 in national competitions.
- TVE1 on the news of the day 21:00 27 November 2013 (since the minute 50:26) (http://goo.gl/15QTUU)
- "La Aventura del saber"; la 2 of TVE (http://goo.gl/NO2Ht8)
- Cuatro weekend news (http://goo.gl/Gif6yR)
- “La ventana”; SER (since the minute 5:08) (http://goo.gl/orWYtg)
- "Radio exterior de España", EUREKA (http://goo.gl/2SGRTQ)
- Agencia SINC (http://goo.gl/Lm80px)
- El Confidencial (http://goo.gl/ajbfgh)
- 20 Minutos (http://goo.gl/ISQnKA)
- Emprendia (http://goo.gl/nBXbes)
- Mi+d (http://goo.gl/0Ag20T)